Are you enjoying London’s 2012 Olympic Games? (TV listings by zip code here) We certainly are! Before settling down for the kickoff of 21 days of intense sports competition, featuring over 10,000 athletes from more than 200 countries all competing and looking to break records, we asked ourselves about the Olympic Games’ sustainability initiatives, and their overall environmental impact.
While surfing the web, we found eye-opening statistics and facts about the efforts being taken to establish the “world’s first truly sustainable Olympic Games.” Some of the efforts undertaken by the Olympic committee include the creation of a sustainable guide in partnership with WWF and BioRegional, encouraging visitors and game watchers to walk or cycle from location to location and encouraging sponsors to create their own sustainable initiatives. We were happy to see that hosting a zero-waste event was a fundamental objective of this year’s Olympic Games. The Olympic Games Committee is setting the precedent for environmental sustainability at the Games moving forward, leaving an environmental legacy for Brazil to live up to in 2016 and other hosts to come.
Browse through the websites, articles and videos below and take a look at some of the green initiatives the Olympic Games Committee and sponsors are hosting in London this summer.
Website and Links:
- London’s Olympic Games sustainability website
- Towards a One Planet 2012 Sustainability Guide
- London’s Olympic Games sustainability documents and reports
- UN official hails United Kingdom’s measures to make Olympics sustainable
- The London Olympic games and sustainability by The Energy Collective
- London sustainability guide by The Grist.org
- Has London been greenwashed by The Guardian
- Coca-Cola Olympic Games sustainability challenge
- Coca-Cola sustainable games fun facts
- Coca-Cola sustainability games booklet
- BP Target Neutral program for the Olympic games
- Sustainability and the Olympic park
- Making London 2012 a sustainable games
- Coca‑Cola’s London 2012 sustainability program
What do you think about the Olympic Games’ sustainable programs? Does it show progress in environmental awareness for an event of this scope or is it still not enough to offset its environmental impact?
Leave us your comments below – We would love to hear from you!